Pages

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Huge - Manatees

 
I truly am the worst blogger lately. I blame it on the dying computer. 
So here I am, answering SEPTEMBERS question:) 

 How, if at all, has adoption changed your view of humanity (for good or bad)?


In both ways I have been blessed to see the good, and the bad. So, I'll start with the bad:  

*** disclaimer ****  
this is MY opinion. and I am FINE with others having their own opinion. This is just what I feel and view with my position.

BAD:  I can't say it is bad, as much as it is disappointing. 
It is true, that I didn't really know a whole lot about adoption before I became a pregnant teen.  The most I'd heard came from a Birth Parent panel that was held in a class I took in HS.  It wasn't something that I thought was bad, or good, or anything in reality. Because, in reality, I didn't have any experience with it, and I didn't need to think about it.  I had seen a girl in my HS class become pregnant, and had been told she placed her baby for adoption. My response was, "Cool, I am glad everything worked out for her."  
I think the biggest thing I've learned is the UNEDUCATED are RAMPANT. Its absolutely astonishing to hear or see others opinions on adoption. How they truly believe the stereotype birth parent is all there is.  Or that someone said, "adoption is murder"... yes I responded... "No, Abortion is murder."  "Adoption is the growth of a child, placed into a home handpicked by me, to have a chance at life. To grow, and succeed, and be loved by SO MANY PEOPLE." I think that is the "bad" the idea that people find abortion a better option than adoption.  I can't say more on it, I get a tad bit emotional.  
With that, the adoption community: maybe its just Utah, but its as bad as it is good. Its something that I've had to pick and choose to be a part of, and what to voice an opinion on or not voice an opinion on.  Where there is love there is hate. (PS I hate the word hate)


Good:  
Where there is bad there is GOOOOOOOD.
And oh goodness is all around. With equal astonishment, I have been surrounded by love and support that I NEVER dreamed I'd have. Love and friendships with other birth parents that have shaped my view, and love, and strength, and desires of adoption.  Equal love and friendships with Adoptive families, that TRULY.... TRULY... have become MY family, and have healed me in ways I didn't know could happen.  They have taken a spot left empty.  There is an incredible group of people out there to lift and carry so many left broken and battered. To shout from the rooftops of how great adoption is, and how great it CAN be! Witnessing the love of birth parents to their adopted families, to adoptive families and their birth parents. Its amazing. It is awe inspiring to think of the joy I have felt seeing families I have never met in "real life" be joined with their amazing babies, and their birth families! 
with that... PS, I have so many more reasons to LOVE September now, than I already did before!  

So there you have it. My VERY late Link up:)


- Jena


OH.. why the HUGE MANATEES title?
well, I had a Humanities teacher in High School, that told a story about his coming to teach that class. Obviously, he heard "huge manatees" not Humanities.
It is the first thing that comes to mind EVERY TIME I hear the word!

  

1 comment:

  1. Love love LOVE everything about this post!!! You're awwesome.

    ReplyDelete